Chedworth Roman Villa
Chedworth Roman Villa information
Rediscovered by gamekeeper in 1864, Chedworth’s extensive ruins represent one of the largest, most luxurious Roman villas in England. Though the earliest section dates to around AD 175, it’s thought to have been at its most magnificent around AD 362, with two sets of bathhouses, a water shrine and a formal dining room with underfloor heating. The stars are the exquisite, well-preserved mosaics. Free guided 45-minute tours offer a good introduction. It’s 4.5 miles west of Northleach, signposted from the A429.