Grove Rd · interesting places nearby
Victoria Park information
The ‘Regent’s Park of the East End’, Victoria Park is an 86-hectare leafy expanse of ornamental lakes, monuments, tennis courts, flower beds and large lawns. When it opened in 1845 it was the first public park in the East End, given the go-ahead after a local MP presented Queen Victoria with a petition of 30,000 signatures. It quickly gained a reputation as the 'People's Park' when many large political rallies were held here.
During WWII the park was largely closed to the public and was used as a base for anti-aircraft guns and as an internment camp for Italian and then German prisoners of war.