Lonely Planet review
Dominating the green space throttled by the Hyde Park Corner roundabout, this imposing neoclassical 1826 arch originally faced the Hyde Park Screen, but was shunted here in 1882 for road widening. The same year saw the removal of the disproportionately large equestrian statue of the duke crowning it, making space for Europe’s largest bronze sculpture: Peace Descending on the Quadriga of War (1912), three years in the casting.
Until the 1960s part of the monument served as a tiny police station (complete with pet moggy), but was restored and opened up to the public as a three-floor exhibition space; today it contains the Quadriga Gallery (for temporary exhibitions) and an exhibition tracing the history of the arch. The open-air balconies (accessible by lift) afford unforgettable views of Hyde Park, Buckingham Palace and the Houses of Parliament; the views get even better during the annual Trooping the Colour pageantry in June with its RAF fly-past.