Sutton House

sights / Architecture

Sutton House information

London , England
2-4 Homerton High St
+44 20 8986 2264
Getting there
Tube: Hackney Central
More information
adult/child £3.50/1
Opening hours
noon-5pm Wed-Sun, daily Aug, closed Jan
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

On a moderately busy road, it would be easy to walk straight past this relatively inconspicuous brick house without noticing its great age. Originally known as Bryk Place, it was built in 1535 by Sir Ralph Sadleir, a prominent courtier of Henry VIII, when Hackney was still a village. Highlights include the Linenfold Parlour, where the Tudor oak panelling on the walls has been carved to resemble draped cloth; the panelled Great Chamber; the Victorian study; and the Georgian parlour.

Abandoned and taken over by squatters in the 1980s, Sutton House could have been lost to history. Enter the National Trust, which has set about conserving and preserving it.