St Andrew Holborn
This church on the southeastern corner of Holborn Circus, first mentioned in the 10th century, was rebuilt by Wren in 1686 and is the...
Golden Boy of Pye Corner
This small statue of a corpulent boy opposite St Bartholomew’s Hospital has a strange dedication: ‘In memory put up for the fire of...
Smithfield is central London’s last surviving meat market. Its name derives from 'smooth field', where animals could graze, although its...
Ye Olde Mitre
A delightfully cosy historic pub with an extensive beer selection, tucked away in a backstreet off Hatton Garden, Ye Olde Mitre was...
The menu is divided into 'duck' and 'surf and turf' sections at this oddly angular bistro/deli, specialising in the food and wine of...
Holborn Viaduct information
This fine iron bridge was built in an effort to smarten up the area, as well as to link Holborn and Newgate St above what had been a valley created by the River Fleet. The four bronze statues represent commerce and agriculture (on the southern side) and science and fine art (on the north).