Ruin sights in Cumbria & The Lakes
- Sort by:
Opposite the train station are the remains of Penrith's 14th-century castle, built by William Strickland (later Bishop of Carlisle and Archbishop of Canterbury) and expanded by Richard III to resist Scottish raids, one of which razed the town in 1345. It's now largely ruined, although some of the original walls are still standing.
The foundations of Ambleside's ruined roman fort, built c AD79, can be seen just west of the Waterhead jetties. The land is now owned by the National Trust; it's possible to make out the fort's general layout and the shape of some of its grain stores and internal rooms.