Cunningly disguised as a Lakeland hill 2 miles west of Penrith, this visitor centre houses a large-screen Imax cinema and an exhibition...
St Andrews Church
Penrith's name derives from an old Celtic word meaning 'red fell', and the area's crimson sandstone is clear to see in many of the...
Grants of Castlegate
Swish wine bar a short uphill walk from the market square.
Lonely Planet review
Opposite the train station are the remains of Penrith's 14th-century castle, built by William Strickland (later Bishop of Carlisle and Archbishop of Canterbury) and expanded by Richard III to resist Scottish raids, one of which razed the town in 1345. It's now largely ruined, although some of the original walls are still standing.