The High Adventure - High Mountain Passes Spectacular
The High Adventure - High Mountain Passes Spectacular information and booking
Tour description provided by Viator
Nothing in Britain surpasses the grandeur of Lakeland's central mountains. The route is that fashioned by Emperor Hadrians's Roman legions in the first century AD. You will travel over the steepest passes in England, pausing to view the extensive remains of Hardknott Roman Fort.
Traveling over the Wrynose and Hardknott Passes from Langdale to Eskdale. After traversing the passes stop at the Roman Fort, 1,000 ft, up on the fells. You have the opportunity to walk through the fort and see the fantastic view to Upper Eskdale, Scafell and Scafell Pike, England’s highest mountains.
Next you will ride on the miniature Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway, before a lunch stop at one of the valley inns.
In the afternoon you will continue to Wastwater, Britain’s favorite view, and take in the views up into Wasdale and across the lake to the famous 1,500 foot screes. Your next stop is the splendid 14th century castle of Muncaster, a treasure chest of fine historic belongings and tales. In its internationally acclaimed gardens you will find magnificent examples of azaleas, camelias and rhodondendrons and also have the opportunity to visit the World Owl Trust.
On your journey back to Windermere you will see the beautiful scenery of Coniston Fells and Coniston Water.
- The Langdales
- Hardknott and Wrynose Mountain Passes - the steepest and most exhilarating in England
- Hardknott Roman Fort - with magnificent views to Scafell and central mountain peaks
- Ride on the Ravenglass and Eskdale Steam Railway
- 14th-century Muncaster Castle including World Owl Trust and Gardens
- Coniston Fells and Coniston Water
- Hotel pickup and drop off
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan (maximum 16 people)
- Entrance fees to muncaster grounds
- Ravenglass/eskdale steam railway ticket
What isn't included
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks, unless specified