Egypt Family Adventure
Egypt Family Adventure information and booking
Gazing in awe at mummies in the ancient pyramids, snorkelling among brightly coloured fish in the Red Sea, riding a camel out in the desert
Tour description provided by G Adventures
History class is way more interesting once you’ve stood where it all happened. Treat your kids to an unforgettable journey back to the age of the pharaohs on this incredible ten-day tour of Egypt’s ancient wonders. It begins with the iconic monuments and pyramids around Cairo, Abu Simbel and a cruise down the Nile. Next, it’s three full days in Luxor for temple visits, Karnak and a camel ride. Then, it’s off to the coast of the Red Sea for three days of well-earned downtime before heading home. Ancient history should always be this hands-on.
- Day 1 Cairo (1D)
- You are welcome to arrive in Cairo at any time, as today is a designated arrival day with no planned activities. Please make sure that you have informed your G Adventures sales representative or travel agent of your flight arrival details so we can arrange for your arrival transfer to our joining hotel. See Joining Instructions for more information. Please note that there will be an important welcome meeting this evening at our joining hotel. Please check the hotel notice board for more information on the location of this meeting or ask at reception. Please bring your passport and travel insurance documents to this meeting, as you will be required to fill out some important pre-trip admin documents.Your tipping kitty will be collected as this time (please refer to the "tipping" section of these notes for more information) . After learning more about our tour and plans for the following day, you are welcome to join our leader and your travelling companions for an optional dinner nearby. If you arrive early there are plenty of things to see and do in this amazing city. Visit the Saladin Citadel of Cairo one of the most popular tourist attractions in the city, or to really get a feel for the place, get lost in the bazaars and join the locals for a coffee in a local cafe.
- Day 2 Cairo (1B,1D)
- Begin the day with one of the real highlights of any trip to Egypt, a visit to the three pyramids of Giza. While once located in remote desert, they now touch the suburbs of modern Cairo. No matter how many photos or documentaries you have seen, your first glimpse of these marvels of the ancient world will take your breath away. As a qualified Egyptologist, your tour leader is able to expertly explain the facts and myths behind these three mammoth works of art. You will also visit the mysterious Sphinx with its lion’s body and man’s face. Time permitting there might be the chance to see inside one of the two smaller pyramids, take a ride around the pyramids on camel back or visit the fascinating Solar Boat Museum with displays on one of the pharaoh’s funerary barges - it may just be the oldest boat in existence! (NB. Extra entrance fees apply to all of these sites/activities) Option to have lunch in a local restaurant recommended by your CEO before we continue to our guided tour of the Egyptian Museum . In the evening we transfer to the railway station to board our overnight train to Aswan. Accommodation on the sleeper train is in comfortable twin-share bunk-bed compartments with lockable doors. The beds convert into seats when not in use and luggage is stored under the bottom bunk. Bedding is provided and there is a small wash basin with soap and a towel provided. Shared toilet facilities are at the end of each carriage. A simple “airline style” dinner is provided, but most guests prefer to eat before boarding the train. Non Alcoholic Drinks are available to purchase and there is a bar car for socialising. In the morning you will be brought a simple continental style breakfast around two hours before arrival. Overnight on sleeper train. Estimated Travel Time: Cairo to Aswan, 12hrs (overnight train)
- Day 3 Aswan (1B,1D)
- Our train is due to arrive in Aswan early in the morning, but as ever, we should be prepared for "Egypt time"! Aswan has a distinctively African feel to it. Small enough to walk around and graced with the most beautiful setting on the Nile, the pace of life is slow and relaxing. Enjoy some free time in the morning to perhaps browse in the souk, full of the scent and colour of spices, perfumes, scarves and baskets or take a walk along the Nileside corniche and admire the scenery. In the afternoon we board a local boat known as a felucca, to explore this area of the Nile from the water , we sail past the Agha Khan Mausoleum and make a stop at the botanical gardens on Kitchener Island. Later, we visit a Nubian village, where we'll take a walk around the community and there may even be the chance for you to peek into a school, before we enjoy a traditional dinner at a local home. This is a great chance to meet some of the kids of Elephantine Island who will be very happy (and curious) to meet you. There is often music in Nubian houses and your CEO may be able to organise some drumming for you.
- Day 4 Luxor (1B)
- An option on Day 4 is a very early start to head out to the magnificent temple of Abu Simbel. Leaving Aswan at around 4am you travel deep into the desert to the site of these enormous temples, on the shores of Lake Nasser. You can spend around two hours at the temples and then return to Aswan by about 2pm. The round trip drive is around 5 hours. There is also the option to fly to the Temples. Please ask your tour leader for more information on both of these options. With the rest of your day, it is possible to take a half-day tour to visit the Unfinished Obelisk, the High Dam and the island Temple of Philae. You may like to visit the modern Nubian Museum to learn more about Aswan's local people. Ask your tour leader for more details. This afternoon we will make our way by private vehicle to Luxor. Overnight in Luxor (3 nights).
- Day 5 Luxor (1B,1L)
- On Day 5, it's time to cross to the West Bank ! You'll be amazed by the huge Colossi of Memnon, giant statues that are all that remains of an ancient temple. Then we head off into the desert, to the Valley of the Kings. Get ready for some narrow passageways as we head down into the Pharaohs' burial chambers. There many wall paintings relate mostly to the Egyptian afterlife. You won't believe how bright the paint is after so many centuries - it could have been painted yesterday! Queens were powerful too in ancient Egypt and the impressive Temple of Queen Hatsheput seems to rise right out of the surrounding rocky stone. we finish our visit and enjoy a spectacular Camel ride along the fields surrounding the amazing historical sites before we say good bye to our camels and enjoy our lunch at a local House with a local family before heading back to our hotel in Luxor. Spend the afternoon playing in the pool or go shopping for bargains in the bazzar.
- Day 6 Luxor (1B)
- Free day in Luxor to explore. Opt to visit the Luxor Community Education Center, a project supported by Planeterra.
- Day 7 Hurghada (1B)
- After enjoying an early breakfast, we will travel by private minibus to the Red Sea town of Hurghada. Upon arrival we'll check-in to our beach resort and the remainder of your time here will be free to relax or enjoy some water sports such as swimming, scuba diving, wind surfing or snorkelling. You might want to head into town for a spot of shopping. Your time is yours to do as little or as much as you and your family decide.
- Day 8 Hurghada (1B,1L)
- Enjoy a snorkelling tour in one of the world's top destinations, the Red Sea. Head out by boat into the reefs, where you can snorkel the clear waters among brightly coloured fish and the spectacular sights of the reef. Coming face to face with our underwater neighbors is a thrilling experience.
- Day 9 Hurghada (1B)
- Free day to lounge on the beach, wonder the town and do some shopping. The beaches here are great, and a good place for al the family to just relax. Unwind on the golden sands while the kids play in the surf, or take the opportunity to wander the town of Hurghada. Opt for a final group dinner.
- Day 10 Cario (1B)
- Fly to Cairo, tour ends upon arrival at the airport. Please book onward travel any time after 1pm.