Mosque of Al-Hakim
Mosque of Al-Hakim
Completed in 1013, the vast Mosque of Al-Hakim built into the northern walls, is one of Cairo’s older mosques but it was rarely used for...
Northern Walls & Gates
Bab an-Nasr (Gate of Victory) and Bab al-Futuh (Gate of Conquests) were built in 1087 as the northern entrances to the walled Fatimid...
The square-towered Bab an-Nasr (Gate of Victory) and the rounded Bab al-Futuh were built in 1087 as the two main northern entrances to...
Sharia al-Galal · interesting places nearby
Mosque of Al-Hakim information
Completed in 1013, the vast Mosque of Al-Hakim built into the northern walls, is one of Cairo’s older mosques but it was rarely used for worship. Instead it functioned as a Crusaders’ prison, a stable, a warehouse, a boys’ school and, most appropriately considering its notorious founder, a madhouse. The real masterpieces are the two stone minarets, the earliest surviving in the city (thanks in part to a post-earthquake restoration in 1304 by Beybars al-Gashankir).
Sultan al-Hakim, the sixth Fatimid ruler of Egypt, took the throne at the age of 11 and his tutor nicknamed him ‘Little Lizard’ because of his frightening looks and behaviour. His 24-year reign was marked by violence and behaviour that went far beyond the usual court intrigues; modern historians speculate he may simply have been insane. Those nearest to him lived in constant fear for their lives. He had his nicknaming tutor killed, along with scores of others. Hakim reputedly often patrolled the streets in disguise, riding a donkey. Most notoriously, he punished dishonest merchants by having them dealt with by a well-endowed black servant. His death was as bizarre as his life. On one of his solitary nocturnal jaunts up onto the Muqattam Hills, Hakim simply disappeared; his body was never found. To one of his followers, a man called Al-Darizy, this was proof of Hakim’s divine nature. From this seed Al-Darizy founded the sect of the Druze that continues to this day. An Ismaili Shiite group restored the mosque in the 1980s, but with its open-plan square and spare decoration, it’s not nearly as interesting as the man behind it.