Nilometer of Satet
Descending to the river’s edge from beneath a sycamore tree near the Aswan Museum is the Nilometer of the Satet Temple (plaque number...
Nilometer of Khnum
The Nilometer of the Temple of Khnum (plaque number 7) is below the southern balustrade of the Khnum temple. Heavenly portents and...
Ruins of Abu
A path through the garden behind the Aswan Museum leads to the evocative ruins of ancient Abu. Numbered plaques and reconstructed...
This Nubian restaurant, set on an island just beyond Elephantine Island, continues to serve excellent Nubian food, served in large and...
Elephantine Island · interesting places nearby
Aswan Museum information
The main part of the Aswan museum is housed in the villa of Sir William Willcocks, architect of the old Aswan Dam. Built in 1898, the villa became a museum in 1912, and houses antiquities discovered in Aswan and Nubia. The modern annexe has a delightful collection of objects, from weapons, pottery and utensils to statues, encased mummies and sarcophagi from predynastic to late Roman times, found in the excavations on Elephantine Island.
Although most of the Nubian artefacts rescued from the temples flooded by Lake Nasser were moved to the Nubia Museum , there are some well-displayed objects here, with excellent labels in English and Arabic. Artefacts are organised in separate glass cases, each explaining a particular facet of life on the island in ancient times: death, trade, religion, weaving, hunting, farming, cooking and so on. At the right of the main entrance, in a room by itself, lies the sarcophagus and mummy of a sacred ram, the animal associated with Khnum.