Lonely Planet review
Sharia al-Muizz, as it’s usually called, takes its name from the Fatimid caliph who conquered Cairo in AD 969. It is the former grand thoroughfare of medieval Cairo, once chock-a-block with storytellers, entertainers and food stalls. These days the street has been redone, from new pavement to the tips of the minarets of the monuments along its length. During morning vehicle-free hours, visitors may comfortably gawk at the sites without fear of being flattened by traffic. First-timers will likely be impressed by the streetscape; return visitors may be taken aback at the extent of the changes.
One stretch of the street is occupied by small places selling sheeshas, braziers and pear-shaped cooking pots for fuul (fava beans). Soon the stock expands to crescent-moon minaret tops, coffee ewers and other copper products, hence its more popular name, Sharia an-Nahaseen (Street of the Coppersmiths).
On the right, about 200m south, is the Mosque of Suleiman Silahdar , which was built comparatively late, in 1839, during the reign of Mohammed Ali. It has a thin, Turkish-inspired minaret and graceful, curvaceous lines along its facade, with a rounded sabil-kuttab (public fountain and Quranic school) on the corner.