‘Old Cathedral’

sights / Religious

‘Old Cathedral’ information

Location
Cuenca , Ecuador
Address
Parque Calderón
Opening hours
9am-1pm & 2-6pm Mon-Fri, 10am-1pm Sat & Sun
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

The whitewashed ‘old cathedral’ is also known as El Sagrario. Construction began in 1557, the year Cuenca was founded, and in 1739 La Condamine’s expedition used its towers as a triangulation point to measure the shape of the earth. It is now deconsecrated and serves as a religious museum and recital hall.