Convento de la Orden de los Predicadores
Parque Duarte in the Zona Colonial is basically a flagstone plaza where you can sit on a bench and feed pigeons. There are, however,...
Capilla de la Tercera Orden Dominica
Built in 1729 and the only colonial structure in Santo Domingo that remains fully intact. These days the building is used by the office...
Museo de la Familia Dominicana
This museum is located in the Casa de Tostado – the beautifully restored 16th-century home of writer Francisco Tostado. The museum is...
Casa de Teatro
Housed in a renovated colonial building, this fantastic arts complex features a gallery with rotating exhibits by Dominican artists, an...
From the candlelit open-air patio to the soft melodic piano, La Bricola embodies romance – a meal here is the perfect place to pop the...
cnr Calle Duarte & Padre Billini · interesting places nearby
Convento de la Orden de los Predicadores information
Built in 1510 by Charles V, this is the first convent of the Dominican order founded in the Americas. It also is where Father Bartolomé de las Casas – the famous chronicler of Spanish atrocities committed against indigenous peoples – did most of his writing. The vault of the chapel, remarkable for its stone zodiac wheel carved with mythological and astrological representations, is worth a look. On the walls are various paintings of religious figures, including Pope Saint Pius V.