Vor Frue Kirke

sights / Religious

Vor Frue Kirke information

Aarhus , Denmark
Frue Kirkeplads
More information
Opening hours
10am-4pm Mon-Fri, to 2pm Sat May-Sep; shorter hrs Oct-Apr
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

Set back from Vestergade, the Church of Our Lady is like a Russian matryoshka (nesting doll), opening to reveal multiple layers. It was here that the original Aarhus cathedral was erected shortly after 1060. That cathedral stood until about 1240, when it was replaced by the current red-brick church, whose main treasure lies in it basement: the vaulted crypt of the original cathedral (enter via the stairs beneath the chancel), uncovered by chance in 1955 during a restoration.

Vor Frue Kirke has yet another chapel , this one exhibiting early 16th-century frescoes. It can be entered through the garden courtyard – take the left door.