- tel, info: 380 704 721
- 09:00-12:00 & 13:00-18:00 Tue-Sun Jun-Aug, 09:00-17:00 Apr, May, Sep & Oct
Lonely Planet review for Krumlov Chateau
Perched atop a soaring cliff, and capped by its proto-psychedelic Round tower, Krumlov Chateau is one of the most audaciously located sights in South Bohemia.
Český Krumlov was first documented in 1253, when the local ruling barons, the Vítkovecs, built their castle here. In 1302 it was acquired by the lords of Rožmberks, the biggest land owners in Bohemia, and in the late 16th century Vilém Rožmberk ordered a Renaissance-style makeover. When their line expired it was handed to the Eggenbergs in 1622. The Schwarzenbergs took the castle over in 1719, and owned it until 1945.