go to content go to search box go to global site navigation


Travel insurance

Citizens of EU countries are entitled to free or cheaper medical care in most European countries, but need to carry proof of their entitlement in the form of the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which replaced the E111 form at the end of 2005. In the UK, the card is available directly from the Department of Health (0845 606 2030; www.dh.gov.uk/travellers) or by using a form obtained from any post office. Note that this card might not cover all medical expenses while abroad (eg repatriation) and that some insurance policies aren’t valid without an EHIC.

Citizens from other countries should find out if there is a reciprocal arrangement for free medical care between their country and Cyprus.

If you do need health insurance, make sure you get a policy that covers you for the worst possible scenario, such as an accident requiring an emergency flight home. Find out in advance if your insurance plan will make payments directly to providers or reimburse you later for overseas health expenditures.