Instituto Superior de Arte

sights / Architecture

Instituto Superior de Arte information

Location
Playa & Marianao , Cuba
Address
Calle 120 No 1110
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

The leading art academy in Cuba was established in the former Havana Country Club in 1961 and elevated to the status of institute in 1976. The cluster of buildings – some unfinished, some half-restored, but all gloriously graceful due to the arches, domes and red brick – was the brainchild of Che Guevara and a team of architects.

Among them was Ricardo Porro, who designed the striking Facultad de Artes Plásticas (1961), which has long curving passageways and domed halls in the shape of a reclining woman. Some 800 students study here, and foreigners can too.