Parque de la Fraternidad

sights / Parks & gardens

Parque de la Fraternidad information

Location
Havana , Cuba
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

Leafy Parque de la Fraternidad was established in 1892 to commemorate the fourth centenary of the Spanish landing in the Americas. A few decades later it was remodeled and renamed to mark the 1927 Pan-American Conference. The name is meant to signify American brotherhood, hence the many busts of Latin and North American leaders that embellish the green areas, including one of US president Abraham Lincoln.

Today the park is the terminus of numerous metro bus routes, and is sometimes referred to as 'Jurassic Park' because of the plethora of photogenic old American cars now used as colectivos (collective taxis) that congregate here.

The Fuente de la India , on a traffic island across from the park, is a white Carrara marble fountain, carved by Giuseppe Gaggini in 1837 for the Count of Villanueva. It portrays a regal Indian woman adorned with a crown of eagle's feathers and seated on a throne surrounded by four gargoyle-like dolphins. In one hand she holds a horn-shaped basket filled with fruit, in the other a shield bearing the city's coat of arms.