Castillo de San Salvador de la Punta
Memorial a los Estudiantes de Medicina
A fragment of wall encased in marble at the end of El Prado marking the spot where eight Cuban medical students were shot by the Spanish...
Preserved in Parque de los Enamorados (Lovers' Park), surrounded by streams of speeding traffic, lies a surviving section of the...
Statue of General Máximo Gómez
On a large traffic island overlooking the mouth of the harbor is a rather grand statue on the right-hand side. Gómez was a war hero from...
Prado No 12
A slim flat-iron building on the corner of Paseo de Martí (known colloquailly as Prado) and San Lázaro that serves drinks and simple...
Castillo de San Salvador de la Punta information
One in a quartet of forts defending Havana harbor, La Punta was designed by the Italian military engineer Giovanni Bautista Antonelli and built between 1589 and 1600. During the colonial era a chain was stretched 250m to the castle of El Morro every night to close the harbor mouth to shipping.
The castle's museum displays artifacts from sunken Spanish treasure fleets, a collection of model ships and information on the slave trade.