Castillo de la Real Fuerza
Museo de Navegación
Opened in 2008 this museum displays interesting exposés on the history of the Castillo de la Real Fuerza and Old Town, and its...
Palacio del Segundo Cabo
Wedged into the square's northwest corner, this building was constructed in 1772 as the headquarters of the Spanish vice-governor. After...
Gabinete de Arqueologia
See the rainbow of influences on Cuba's colonial culture from everyday artifacts dug up nearby. Of particular interest are the ceramics...
Restaurante la Dominica
Despite a tendency to be a little overgenerous with the olive oil, La Dominica – with its wood-fired pizza oven and al dente pasta –...
Castillo de la Real Fuerza information
On the seaward side of Plaza de Armas is one of the oldest existing forts in the Americas, built between 1558 and 1577 on the site of an earlier fort destroyed by French privateers in 1555. The west tower is crowned by a copy of a famous bronze weather vane called La Giraldilla .
The original was cast in Havana in 1632 by Jerónimo Martínez Pinzón and is popularly believed to be of Doña Inés de Bobadilla, the wife of gold explorer Hernando de Soto. The original is now kept in the Museo de la Ciudad, and the figure also appears on the Havana Club rum label. Imposing and indomitable, the castle is ringed by an impressive moat and today shelters the Museo de Navegación , which displays interesting exposés on the history of the fort and Old Town, and its connections with the erstwhile Spanish Empire. Look out for the huge scale model of the Santíssima Trinidad galleon.