Cathedral of the Assumption of the Virgin
Built on the site of a 7th-century basilica that was enlarged in the 12th century, the original Cathedral of the Assumption of the...
Cathedral of the Assumption of the Virgin Treasury
The treasury contains relics of St Blaise as well as 138 gold and silver reliquaries largely made in the workshops of Dubrovnik's...
St Blaise’s Church
Imposing church built in 1715 in a baroque style whose ornate exterior contrasts strongly with the sober residences surrounding it. The...
This corner bar looks pretty nondescript in the day, but on summer nights things get far more lively when there are live jazz concerts –...
Located on the Old Harbour right next to the fish market, you'll feast on the freshest catch here. Locals chow down on a hearty plate of...
Rector’s Palace information
Lonely Planet review
The Gothic-Renaissance Rector’s Palace was built in the late 15th century and is adorned with outstanding sculptural ornamentation. It retains a striking compositional unity despite being rebuilt many times. Notice the finely carved capitals and the ornate staircase in the atrium, which is often used for concerts during the Summer Festival. Also in the atrium is a statue of Miho Pracat, who bequeathed his wealth to the Republic and was the only commoner in the 1000 years of the Republic’s existence to be honoured with a statue (1638). We may assume that the bequest was considerable. The palace was built for the rector who governed Dubrovnik, and it contains the rector’s office, his private chambers, public halls and administrative offices. Interestingly, the elected rector was not permitted to leave the building during his one-month term without the permission of the senate. Today the palace has been turned into a museum with artfully restored rooms, portraits, coats-of-arms and coins, evoking the glorious history of Dubrovnik.