Las Ruinas de la Parroquia
Museo Municipal de Cartago
Occupying a former military barracks, this museum opened in 2010, bringing a little high-tech sophistication to historic preservation....
Finca La Flor de Paraíso
Elias Leiva Museum of Ethnography
For an insight into regional cultures, visit this museum, located in the basement of the Colegio Luis Gonzaga. It has a few small...
cnr Av 2 & Calle 2 · interesting places nearby
Las Ruinas de la Parroquia information
Las Ruinas de la Parroquia was built in 1575 as a shrine to St James the Apostle (Santiago, in Spanish), destroyed by the 1841 earthquake, rebuilt a few years later and then destroyed again in the 1910 earthquake. Today only the outer walls of the church remain, but ‘the Ruins’ are a pleasant spot for hanging out and people-watching – though legend has it that the ghost of a headless priest wanders the ground on foggy nights.