Terms & conditions
Thanks for entering Lonely Planet's Budget Rental "What city are you?" Facebook promotion. Here's some important stuff you should know.
Who's running the show?
The promoter is Lonely Planet Publications Pty Limited (ABN 36 005 607 983) of 90 Maribyrnong Street, Footscray, Victoria 3011 Australia. Our friends at Avis Budget Group, Inc. of 6 Sylvan Way Parsippany, NJ 07054 are our promotional partner (Budget Rental). Information about the prizes and how to enter forms part of these conditions of entry. By entering the promotion, these conditions of entry apply to your entry. Any changes to these conditions of entry will be published on the Lonely Planet website at www.lonelyplanet.com, so you should check these conditions of entry regularly.
Can I play?
The laws in some places don't allow Lonely Planet to run this promotion, in which case the promotion and these conditions of entry are void in those places. Also, you can't enter this promotion if you (or your immediate families or housemates) are employed by Lonely Planet, Budget Rental or their subsidiaries and affiliated companies. You are only eligible to enter and take the prize if you are 18 years or older (but note that conditions apply to the prizes and use of prizes provided by Budget Rental are subject to additional fees if you are 25 or younger).
How do I play?
To enter you must complete the "What city are you?" quiz on our Facebook competition page and then tell us in 25 words or less what city you would most like to be and why. You don't have to buy anything to enter. You can enter between 12AM PST on July 1 2012 and 12PM PST on July 31 2012. You can only enter once. Your entry is received at the time Lonely Planet receives it. If your entry gets lost in cyberspace or doesn't arrive for any other reason, it's not Lonely Planet's fault. Lonely Planet might have to extend the dates of the promotion, but only if it's totally unavoidable, and we'll let you know if we do.
How do you pick the winner?
Rather than consulting tea leaves, the winner will be selected by a panel of 3 judges, who will review all the eligible entries and then decide the best answer to the question of what city you would most like to be and why. This unenviable task will happen in a small, dark room at 150 Linden St. Oakland, CA 94607, on August 8 2012 (or at an undisclosed location otherwise determined as required by Lonely Planet. The judges' decision is final (so there!) and no correspondence will be entered into, even if you think that sucks. Lady luck has nothing to do with this promotion.
Lonely Planet can cancel or modify the promotion if there are compelling technical or administrative reasons which we cannot control. If that happens, Lonely Planet will pick a winner from all eligible entries received at that time.
What can I win?
The winner will win the following prize (note that additional terms and conditions may apply to use of the prize):
- Total prize value is approximately US$6497. These prize values are accurate at the start of the promotion.
What else can I get?
Just for entering, you'll receive a discount code for 10% off any purchase from shop.lonelyplanet.com* and a discount code for up to 10% off any car rental from [www.budget.com]**.
*Code valid June 1, 2012 through July 31 2013. Not valid for use in conjunction with any other offer. 10% discount does not apply to shipping and handling costs.
**[ Up to 10% Off Offers - The savings of up to 10% is applicable only to the time and mileage charges of the rental. Taxes, concession recovery fees, vehicle license recovery fee may apply and are extra. Optional products are extra. Please mention BCD H010500 to take advantage of this offer. Offer is available for rentals at participating locations worldwide. Offer may not be used in conjunction with any other BCD number, promotion or offer. Discount valid on rentals booked between June 1st, 2012 and August 15th, 2012. Discount valid on rentals checked out between June 1st, 2012 and December 14th, 2012. Offer is subject to vehicle availability at the time of rental and may not be available on some rates at some times, including some online rates. Car rental return restrictions may apply. Offer subject to change without notice. Holiday and other blackout periods may apply. Renter must meet Budget age, driver and credit requirements. Minimum age may vary by location. An additional daily surcharge may apply for renters under 25 years old.]
If you do win …
You can't exchange the prize for cash, or ask us to give it to someone else (not that you'd want to!). We will use reasonable efforts to award the prize as described, but, if due to unforeseen circumstances we are unable to do that, we'll substitute it either for cash or another prize of comparable value, but we'll decide which.
You'll be responsible for all taxes, insurance and any other expenses, fees and costs connected with that prize that are not included in the prize description.
If, in order to take the prize, you're lucky enough to need a valid passport and/or other necessary travel documentation and visas, you'll need to sort those out for yourself (including finding out what documents you need). You will also need a valid driver's licence in the country that you redeem any Budget voucher or discount code and other car rental restrictions may apply.
You are responsible for your use of the prize, including complying with any applicable terms and conditions of use (including the terms set out in the Winner Deed document).
Of course, if you win a prize, you'll be good and comply with all relevant laws, rules and regulations.
How do I find out if I won?
We'll give the winner the good news by [email] and their name(s) will be published on the Lonely Planet website within 2 days after selection. If you're riddled with curiosity, send a stamped, self addressed envelope (including the name of the promotion) to us within 3 months of the date of selection of the winner, and we'll write back and tell you who won.
Lonely Planet will do its best to find the winner. But if we can't, or if the winner hasn't accepted the prize by November 8 2012, the next best entry will be declared the winner.
What happens to my entry?
You agree that all of your entry is your own work. On submission, your entry becomes the property of Lonely Planet, and you give Lonely Planet a worldwide, irrevocable licence to reproduce, publish, adapt, communicate and broadcast all or part of it in any form and media, and to sublicense those rights (including to our related companies, licensee publishers and partners). You also consent to us editing, re-using, storing, reproducing and communicating your entry in any medium. Generally, we will attribute you as the author where possible, but in some circumstances, we may decide not to.
Age requirements for renting
What are the minimum age requirements for renting?
Answer: Yes. You'll find information on general age rules below, but since specific fees and permissible vehicle types may vary by location, it's best to find the underage requirement in the U.S. city where you are renting prior to picking up your rental.
Underage Requirements at Corporate-operated Locations:
At most U.S. corporate-operated locations you must be at least 21 years of age to rent but the following provisions apply for customers between the ages of 21-24:
- Renters 21-24 must present a valid, acceptable credit card (debit cards are not permitted) and a valid driver's license (subject to screening of your driving record), both in the renter's name.
- At time of rental, an additional $27-per-day underage surcharge for these renters will be applied. Because we don't verify your age when you make a reservation, this fee is in addition to your quoted online rate.
- Drivers between the ages of 21-24 will not permitted to rent luxury cars, mini vans, 12-passenger vans, specialty vehicles, full-size SUVs or premium SUVs.
- If a renter wishes to add an additional driver to the rental policy, the second driver must be 25 or older and present their valid driver's license and credit or, at some locations, debit card. Select locations that do not accept a debit card will be indicated in the terms and conditions on your online reservation confirmation or on the location information page.
- If you plan to pre-pay your rental and are under 25 years of age, underage charges will be added at the counter and will need to be paid at car return. Your prepayment amount will be used as a credit toward the final costs of the rental.
In Michigan at corporate-operated locations, the minimum rental age is 18 with a valid, acceptable credit card and driver's license, and an additional $41-per-day underage surcharge for drivers 18-20; $28-per-day for drivers 21-24 years old will be applied.
In New York State at corporate-operated locations, the minimum rental age is 18 with a valid, acceptable credit card and driver's license, and an additional $52-per-day underage surcharge for drivers 18-20; $35-per-day for drivers 21-24 years old will be applied. Drivers under the age 25 will not be permitted to rent luxury cars, mini vans, 12-passenger vans, specialty vehicles, full-size SUVs or premium SUVs.
In Washington, D.C. at corporate-operated locations, the renter is required to be at least 25 years of age with a valid, acceptable credit card and driver's license.
Minimum Age Exceptions:
Licensee-owned and non U.S. Location Rentals
U.S. Budget licensee-owned location age rules vary, however most allow a minimum age of 18-24 for a small surcharge. Rules at locations outside of the U.S also may vary. It's always best to check the terms and conditions on your online reservation confirmation or on the location information page to see which rules apply for your selected location. Then, if you still have questions, please contact us.
A promotional code will give you access to some fabulous special offers. The Budget promotional codes offer the following:
- **10% off all purchases from www.lonelyplanet.com/shop. Code valid July 1, 2012 through July 31, 2013 (you'll get the code when you enter the "What city are you?" competition which launches on Facebook on July 1, 2012);
- **25% off all purchases from www.lonelyplanet.com/shop. Code valid June 1, 2012 through July 31, 2013 (you'll get the code if you book a car through Budget from this page: budget.com/lonelyplanet, if you live in AU conditions apply); );
**Please see the terms and conditions of entry for the "What city are you?" competition for more information. Your promotional code is not eligible to be used in conjunction with any other offer. No purchase required to receive 25% off code in Australia.
If you have a code, simply enter it on the shopping cart page on www.lonelyplanet.com/shop before you proceed to checkout. Make sure you code exactly as it appears in the offer, checking upper and lower case letters and numbers (we recommend you copy and paste the code).
Things you need to know about your Budget promotional codes
- Lonely Planet promotional codes can only be used at the time of order and are only valid on our online shop here
- They cannot be used towards payment after you've submitted and paid for your order. If you forgot to use your code, then you can either use it on your next order or give it to a friend.
- Promotional codes are not valid on full-book digital guides or bundles products unless otherwise specified. This includes already discounted print guide bundles and print + PDF eBook bundles.
- They are not valid with other offers or promotions and you can't use more than one promotional code for a single order.
- Unless otherwise stated, promotions apply to in-stock products only, and exclude print editions that are on pre-order at the time.
- Each promotional code can only be used once unless otherwise stated.
- You don't need to have a customer account to use a promotional code.
- Promotional codes are only valid for a limited time and expire on the date specified in the offer.
- Promotional code discounts don't apply to delivery charges unless specified, foreign language titles or the title India: Essential Encounters.