AddressCarrera 11 No. 4-16 PopayanSee nearby area
For rates, enter dates/guests
Lonely Planet review
Popayán's most popular budget choice, Hosteltrail is a modern, friendly place on the edge of the colonial center with everything weary travelers need. There is fast internet, express laundry, fully equipped kitchen and eager staff with a wealth of local know-how. It organizes visits to a nearby coffee farm and downhill mountain biking from Coconuco.
Our independent authors have visited HostelTrail and selected this as one of our recommended hostels in Popayán.
Description provided by property
Scottish-run HostelTrail opened its doors in 2007 to offer private room accommodation and dorms to travellers visiting Popayan. The hostel is located in the Colonial centre of the city and is an easy 6 minute walk from the bus station. HostelTrail offers all the facilities a backpacker could want including dorm and private room accommodation, internet access, Free internet, Free WiFi, Laundry service, self-catering kitchen with free coffee in the mornings and plenty of tourist information. Delicious breakfasts (5,000 pesos) are served from 7am to 10am - fruit salads, yogurt and granola or omlettes with toast and jam. HostelTrail is also the home of PopayanTours.com and as such, we can arrange a variety of activities including Spanish Classes, Mountain Biking, Thermal Spring excursions, Salsa classes and private transport to Tierradentro, San Agustin and Salento!
If we appear to have no availability, please drop us an email direct and we may be able to fit you in.
The Hostel Trail has a total of 35 beds, including a 8-bed ensuite dorm room with balconies overlooking the colonial street as well as single, double and twin rooms all with and without private bathroom. All private rooms are decorated with photography from around South America and have hand-made duvets. The private rooms also have custom made shutters on the windows to ensure a quiet (and dark) nights sleep.
- Free internet and Free WIFI
- Computers with SuperFast Internet (Headphones, Cameras & SKYPE)
- 24 hour access.
- A range of Breakfast choices 7 days a week (5,000 Pesos)
- Dorms & Private Rooms (with and without bathroom)
- European-style duvets & reading lamps in all private rooms
- Laundry Facilities (24hr budget service & 4hr Express service)
- Mountain Bike & City Bike Hire (they are really good bikes too!)
- Free lockers with built in power supply for charging laptops.
- Self-Catering Kitchen (with fridge, gas cooker, blender & small oven)
- TV room with More than 150 DVDs and 32 inch Flatscreen TV
- International Calls at 500 Pesos p/m
- Book Shop - we buy and sell English Books (over 150 imported titles!)
- Book Exchange & Reference library
- A selection of cold beers, soft drinks, water for sale
- Salsa Classes arranged through the hostel
- Free luggage store
- Courtyard patio area
- Free coffee in the mornings
- Downhill Biking Tours to the thermal pools. (Popayan's most popular tour!)
- Downloadable info-guides for your ipod or laptop.
- 5 mins walk from the main square & 8 mins from the bus station!
Services & facilities
- 24 Hour Reception
- 24 Hour Security
- Tours/Travel Desk
- Bicycle Hire
- Book Exchange
- Common Room
- Bicycle Parking
- Free Internet Access
- Free WiFi
- Internet Access
- Laundry Facilities
- Linen Included
- Towels Included
- Luggage Storage
Interesting places nearby
The 10-hectare private nature reserve Las Ardillas has six canopy lines totaling 1200m that you can ride. There’s a swimming pool and...
The neoclassical cathedral is the youngest church in the center, built between 1859 and 1906 on the site of a previous cathedral, which...
Iglesia de San Francisco
The city's largest colonial church is also its most beautiful. Inside are a fine high altar and a collection of seven unique side...
Bar La Iguana
For salsa, try Bar La Iguana , which cranks the volume on weekends and shows videos on a large projection screen.
Sabores del Mar
Run by an energetic family from Guapi, this tiny nautical-themed place serves a great-value seafood lunch. Try the fillets of toyo (a...