Wǔhàn’s three mighty chunks trace their capital status back to the Han dynasty, with Wǔchāng and Hànkǒu vying for political and economic sway. The city was prised opened to foreign trade in the 19th century by the Treaty of Nanking. British, German, Russian, French and Japanese enclaves sprang up around Hànkǒu’s present-day Zhongshan Dadao, where surrounding streets remain littered with concession-era banks, churches and residential architecture. Wǔhàn is also strongly associated with Sun Zhongshan and the 1911 uprising, which left swathes of the city in ruins and eventually swept away the Qing dynasty. Wǔchāng and Hànyáng were first linked by the enormous 110m-long and 80m-high Wuhan Yangzi River Big Bridge (Wǔhàn Chángjiāng Dàqiáo), completed in 1957. Until then all traffic, including trains, had to be laboriously ferried across the river.