The original inhabitants of Tenerife were primitive cave-dwellers called Guanches who arrived from North Africa around 200 BC. Tenerife was the last island to fall to the Spanish (in 1496) and subsequently became an important trading centre. As such, it was subject to invasions by marauding pirates and, in 1797, from the British in the famous battle of Santa Cruz, when Nelson lost his arm during the fight.
In 1821 Madrid declared Santa Cruz de Tenerife, by then the island’s main port, the capital of the Canaries. The good and great of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria remained incensed about this until 1927 when Madrid finally split the archipelago into two provinces, with Santa Cruz as provincial capital of Tenerife, La Palma, La Gomera and El Hierro. As economic links between the Canaries and the Americas strengthened, a small exodus of islanders crossed the ocean, notably to Venezuela and Cuba. In later years affluent emigrants and Latin Americans reversed the trend, bringing influences that are still evident in the music and food of today’s Tenerife.