go to content go to search box go to global site navigation

Introducing Lévis

On the 1km ferry crossing to the town of Lévis, the best views are undoubtedly on the Québec side of the vessel. The Citadelle, the Château Frontenac and the seminary dominate the clifftop cityscape. Once you disembark, riverside Lévis is a relaxing escape from the intensity of Québec City's Old Town.

Tourisme Lévis, at the ferry landing, has maps and an Old Lévis package ($9), which includes return ferry and a 30-minute guided bus shuttle to several points of interest.

Bikes, tandems and rollerblades can be rented at the ferry terminal for cheaper rates than in Québec City.

Near the ferry landing, the Terrasse de Lévis, a lookout point inaugurated in 1939 by King George VI and (the then future) Queen Elizabeth II, offers excellent vistas of Québec and beyond from the top of the hill on Rue William-Tremblay.

Between 1865 and 1872, the British built three forts on the south shore to protect Québec. One, known as Fort No 1, has been restored and operates as a national historic site with guided tours. It's on the east side of Lévis, just off Rte 132/Blvd de la Rive Sud.

In Old Lévis, the main shops and restaurants are on Ave Bégin. Alternatively, for more views of Québec, head south on the riverside path through Parc de l'Anse-Tibbits. At the marina, about 2km from the ferry landing, La Piraterie serves club sandwiches, brochettes, pasta and seafood.