Artillery Park

sights / Historic

Artillery Park information

Québec City , Canada
2 Rue d’Auteuil
Getting there
Bus: 3, 7, 11, 28
More information
adult/child $4/2
Opening hours
10am-5pm mid-May–mid-Oct, to 6pm Jul & Aug
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

Open in summer, this park along the Old Town walls was chosen as the site for 18th-century French army barracks, due to its strategic views of the adjacent plateau and the St Charles River, both of which could feed enemy soldiers into Québec City. Visit the Officers’ Quarters and the Dauphine Redoubt , where guides in period dress (ie the garrison’s cook) speak in character about barracks life. Don't miss the huge 19th-century model of Québec City in the Arsenal Foundry .

After the British conquest of New France, English soldiers moved in and remained here until 1871, when the site was converted into an ammunition factory for the Canadian army. The factory operated until 1964, and thousands of Canadians worked there during the World Wars.