HI-Ottawa Jail Hostel
Lonely Planet review
If your experience with serving jail time is limited to a game of Monopoly, then this quirky hostel will be right up your alley – guests can sleep in the stone penitentiary's old wrought-iron cellblock. Informative walking tours are frequently organized by the friendly staff, including a spooky 'Crime and Punishment' tour of the jail itself, which is considered to be one of the most haunted buildings in town. Check out the on-site gallows where numerous criminals were hanged for their wretched crimes.
Our independent authors have visited HI-Ottawa Jail Hostel and selected this as one of our recommended hostels in Ottawa.
Services & facilities
- Internet access
- Free internet access
- Free Wi-Fi
- 24 hour reception
- 24 hour security
- Tours/travel desk
- Air conditioning
Bureau de Change/ATM
- Bicycle hire
- Board games
- Book exchange
- Cable tv
- Common room
- Games room
- Bicycle parking
- Breakfast included
- Meals available
- Housekeeping service
- Laundry facilities
- Linen included
- Towels included
- Washing machine
- Outdoor terrace
Description provided by property
A one-of-a-kind jail hostel located in the heart of downtown Ottawa, steps away from Byward Market, Parliament Hill, Rideau Centre, University of Ottawa, pubs and restaurants.
Rated one of the top 10 spookiest buildings around the world by Lonely Planet!
Here's what you may do while staying with us :
- Have a drink, eat a meal, listen to live performances and meet other travelers at our bar MUGSHOTS - Ottawa's only jail bar!
- Use our free wireless internet or free internet terminals to plan, skype, book, check-in, post or tweet;
- Enjoy our FREE continental breakfast every morning;
- Join us on a FREE hostel orientation tour (offered daily to hostel guests only)
- Sleep in former jail cells that have been completely renovated and adapted to suit your comfort needs;
- Join us for a pub crawl, a movie night, a dance party and much more;
- Enjoy our great outdoor patio in the summer;
- Use our communal kitchen to show off your cooking skills;
- Ask our wonderful staff for suggestions of things to do in Ottawa;
- Visit death row and the gallows on the 8th floor with Ottawa's Haunted Walks tours.
We hope to see you soon - and remember - you don't have to commit a crime to do the time!
Please note : If you do not hold an HI membership card there will be an additional charge of $5 per night in shared room and $10 per night in a private room. All prices are subject to local sales tax of 13%.
Interesting places nearby
Kilted servers, 17 taps and 200 single malt scotches all add to the wonderful Scottish appeal of this ByWard Market area pub. The food...
Boulangerie Moulin de Provence
Still riding on the buzz left by a visit from President Obama, this wonderful bakery is packed to the hilt with sugary and savoury...