Old Government House

sights / Architecture

Old Government House information

Location
Fredericton , Canada
Address
51 Woodstock Rd
More information
www.gnb.ca/lg/ogh
Opening hours
10am-4pm Mon-Sat, noon-4pm Sun
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

This magnificent sandstone palace was erected for the British governor in 1826. The representative of the queen moved out in 1893 after the province refused to continue paying his expenses, and during most of the 20th century the complex was a Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) headquarters. It now evocatively captures a moment in time with tours led by staff in period costume. New Brunswick's current lieutenant governor (Graydon Nicholas, a member of the Maliseet Nation and the first aboriginal lawyer in Atlantic Canada) lives on the 3rd floor.