Three hundred years ago, Maliseet and Mi’kmaq Aboriginals lived and fished here. The French followed in 1732 but were eventually burned out by the British, who brought in 2000 Loyalists fleeing the United States after the American Revolution.
Fredericton really came into its own the next year when the British government decided to form a new province by splitting New Brunswick away from Nova Scotia. Lieutenant governor Thomas Carleton visited St Anne’s Point and was impressed with its strategic location on the St John River, suitable for receiving large ships and practically in the center of the new province. In 1785, he not only made it the provincial capital and the base for a British garrison but renamed it Fredericstown in honor of Sir Frederick, Duke of York and the second son of King George III.