Grand Séminaire de Montréal

sights / Religious

Grand Séminaire de Montréal information

Montréal , Canada
2065 Rue Sherbrooke Ouest
+1 514 935 1169
Getting there
Underground Rail: Guy-Concordia
admission by donation
Opening hours
tours 1pm & 3pm Tue-Sat Jun-Aug
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

The immense complex was built in 1860 to train priests for the Roman Catholic diocese. Shortly after construction the main instruction building, the Collège de Montréal, was requisitioned by the British army to house soldiers (who departed in 1870 after petitioning by the archdiocese). The seminary has a pretty Romanesque chapel, with hand-carved oak pews and walls covered with imported stone from Caen, France. Several shaded canals on the property are lovely for a stroll. Tours last about 1½ hours and the guides are excellent.