State Gallery of Fine Arts
The State Gallery of Fine Arts, occupying a mansion from 1846, contains outstanding works by 19th- and 20th-century masters such as...
Plovdiv’s magnificent 2nd-century-AD amphitheatre, built by Emperor Trajan, was only uncovered during a freak landslide in 1972. It once...
Church of Sveta Bogoroditsa
This huge, three-aisle church stands atop a series of stone stairs at the old town’s base. With its unmistakable pink and blue bell...
The amphitheatre hosts Plovdiv’s annual Verdi Festival (June), plus other summertime opera, ballet and music performances.
The magical Puldin is one of Plovdiv’s most atmospheric restaurants. In one dining room, the famous whirling dervishes of the Ottoman...
Lonely Planet review
Built in 1830, the Lamartine House, also called the Georgi Mavridi House, belongs to the Union of Bulgarian Writers. The building is named after French poet Alphonse de Lamartine, who stayed for three days in 1833, during his ‘travels in the Orient’.