Byzantine Baths Complex
Sveti Spas Church
This modest, single-nave church was built in 1609, below ground level, as dictated by the Ottoman authorities of that time. It features...
Church of St John the Baptist
The Church of St John the Baptist was built in the 10th century and features some of the best-preserved murals from the 14th and 17th...
Archangels Michael & Gabriel’s Church
The Archangels Michael & Gabriel’s Church was built over the course of a few decades during the 13th and 14th centuries. It remains...
With two tiers of seating offering great sea views, this is a popular place for barbecues, grills and fish dishes, as well as salads and...
Byzantine Baths Complex information
Lonely Planet review
Below present ground level just behind the Church of Sveti Spas are the partly excavated remains of this once huge 6th-century Byzantine Baths Complex. Though not much to look at now, in its day this was one of the region's biggest and best spas, renowned for its curative waters; allegedly the Byzantine Emperor Constantine IV dropped by and 'cured his legs' here in 680. The baths were destroyed during Khan Krum's invasion in 812 AD.