Sights in Praia Do Forte
- Sort by:
The Castelo do Garcia d’Ávila, dating from 1552, was the first great Portuguese edifice in Brazil. Today, it’s an impressive ruin with great views. Desperate to colonize as a way to control his new territory, the king of Portugal had set about granting lands to merchants, soldiers and aristocrats. For no apparent reason, a poor, 12-cow farmer named Garcia d’Ávila was endowed with a tract of land that extended inland all the way to the state of Maranhão, with Praia do Forte as its seat. Overnight he became the largest landholder in the Northeast. For the site of his home, Garcia chose an aquamarine ocean-view plot studded with palm trees. It’s a 7km walk along the only…
The extremely worthwhile Tamar Project station is located on the beach next to the church and lighthouse. Tamar, an abbreviation for sea turtles (TArtaruga MARinha), is a highly successful nonprofit organization (Fundação Pró Tamar; www.tamar.org.br, in Portuguese) dedicated to saving five species of sea turtles in Brazil.