go to content go to search box go to global site navigation

Aracaju

History

The seat of state government was moved from São Cristóvão to Aracaju in 1855, in part because of its good, deep harbor – badly needed to handle large ships transporting sugar to Europe – and because residents of the old capital were on the verge of armed revolt. Within a year, an epidemic broke out and decimated Aracaju’s population, which the residents of São Cristóvão naturally saw as an omen that the new capital had a doomed future. The city received a makeover in the early 1900s with the advent of streetcars and other urbanizing elements. In recent days, the newest addition to Aracaju is the bridge over the Rio Sergipe (completed in 2006), connecting the capital to the suburb of Barra dos Coqueiros, and bringing steady development to this quiet coastal area.