Igreja São Francisco da Penitência & Convento de Santo Antônio
Centro Excursionista Brasileira
Founded in 1919, CEB sponsors day hikes and weekend treks (with camping). The club plans activities at its weekly meeting, a good spot...
Inaugurated in 1887, this saloon and dining spot serves some of the city's best brew.
Bar Luiz first opened in 1887, making it one of the city's oldest cervejarias (pubs). A festive air fills the old saloon as diners get...
Largo da Carioca 5 · interesting places nearby
Igreja São Francisco da Penitência & Convento de Santo Antônio information
Overlooking the Largo da Carioca is the baroque Igreja São Francisco da Penitência, dating from 1726. Restored to its former glory, the church's sacristy, which dates from 1745, has blue Portuguese tiles and an elaborately carved altar made out of jacaranda wood. It also has a roof panel by José Oliveira Rosa depicting St Francis receiving the stigmata.
The church's statue of Santo Antônio is an object of great devotion to many cariocas in search of a husband or wife.
A garden on the church grounds leads to the catacombs, used until 1850. Visits must be arranged in advance.
Next door, the Convento de Santo Antônio was built between 1608 and 1615. It contains the chapel of Nossa Senhora das Dores da Imaculada Conceição. Fabiano de Cristo, a miracle-working priest who died in 1947, is entombed here.