Paço Imperial

sights / Architecture

Paço Imperial information

Location
Rio de Janeiro City , Brazil
Address
Praça XV (Quinze) de Novembro 48
Telephone
+55 2215 2622
Opening hours
noon-6pm Tue-Sun
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

The former imperial palace was originally built in 1743 as a governor's residence. Later it became the home of Dom João and his family when the Portuguese throne transferred the royal seat of power to the colony. In 1888 Princesa Isabel proclaimed the Freedom from Slavery Act from the palace's steps. The building was neglected for many years but has been restored and is used for exhibitions and concerts; its cinema frequently screens foreign and art-house films.