Where you come from and what you’re looking at
I’m the Online Marketing Manager at Lonely Planet in Melbourne, Australia.
It’s my first day back in the office after a short break. I’m procrastinating doing any work requiring serious thinking by:
- Planning my upcoming trip to Indonesia
- Diving into to our web metrics to view 2008 in its entirety.
So, unlike Vivek who looked ahead to what 2009 holds, I’ve reflected on 2008 to provide a view on our audience and site interaction. In addition to being critical in running a global website, reviewing this data also shows some interesting trends and differences across regions.
With that in mind here are some lists highlighting where our users come from and what they are interested in.
What countries does most of our traffic come from?
These same countries were in the top 10 of 2007; however India has shot up a few places in 2008.
As a lot of the traffic is referred from search engines, it is worth looking at what destination terms generate the most traffic.
Top 10 destination search terms referring traffic to lonelyplanet.com
|Buenos Aires||Costa Rica||Singapore|
This is influenced by both the keywords people are searching for within search engines, and also Lonely Planet’s ranking for each keyword.
And what destinations (country) are they most frequently viewing?
|USA visitors||UK visitors||Australian visitors|
Most popular Lonely Planet guidebooks sold via the Lonely Planet online shop
|Europe on a Shoestring||Italy||Ireland|
|Thailand||Europe on a Shoestring||Australia|
|Sth America Shoestring||Costa Rica||India|
|Japan||Peru||Sth America Shoestring|
|Western Europe||Sth America Shoestring||Europe on a Shoestring|
|Italy||Australia||SthEast Asia Shoestring|
Most Popular Chapter Downloads sold via the Lonely Planet online shop (and guidebook taken from)
- Mexico City Chapter (Mexico)
- Uruguay Country Chapter (South America on a Shoestring)
- Caribbean Islands – Aruba, Bonaire & Curacao Chapter (Caribbean Islands)
- Peru – Cuzco & the Sacred Valley Chapter (Peru)
- Santiago City Chapter (Peru)
- Yucatán – Quintana Roo Chapter (Yucatán)
- Caribbean Islands – Trinidad & Tobago Chapter (Caribbean Islands)
- Caribbean Islands – Guadeloupe Chapter (Caribbean Islands)
- Argentina – Buenos Aires (Argentina)
- Caribbean Islands – St Lucia (Caribbean Island)