Dzong sights in Trashigang
- Sort by:
The dzong is on a high promontory that overlooks the confluence of the Drangme Chhu and the Gamri Chhu. It was built in 1667 by Mingyur Tenpa, Bhutan's third desi. The entire eastern region was governed from this dzong from the late 17th century until the beginning of the 20th century.
This dzong is unusual in that both the administrative and monastic bodies face onto a single dochey (courtyard). As always, the gorikha (porch) has paintings of the Four Guardian Kings. Inside are several lhakhangs. One lhakhang holds the statue of the deity of Gasin-re or Yama, the wrathful aspect of Chenrisig. He is a protector of the faith, the god of death and the king of law, and the…