Mongar Dzong

sights / Other

Mongar Dzong information

Mongar , Bhutan
Something wrong?
Submit a correction

The Mongar Dzong was established in 1930 to replace the original Shongar Dzong, although the original utse (central tower) dates from an earlier age. It's unusual because it has two entrances. There are four lhakhangs in the utse, including a goenkhang (chapel dedicated to protective deities) and a Sangay Lhakhang.

The week-long Mongar tsechu is held here in November (seventh to the 10th days of the 10th lunar month).