Lonely Planet review for Mongar Dzong
The Mongar Dzong, unusual because it has two entrances and because the monk and administrative bodies share the same courtyard, was rebuilt in 1953. The dzong was established here in 1930 to replace the original Shongar Dzong, although the original utse (central tower) dates from an earlier age. There are 80 monks in the dzong, about 70 of them young boys aged eight to 10 years old plus their teachers. The week-long Mongar tsechu is held here in November. There are four lhakhangs in the utse; the Sangay Lhakhang is probably the only one in Bhutan equipped with comfy sofas!