Introducing Wiener Neustadt
Wiener Neustadt used to be known simply as Neustadt (New Town) or Nova Civitas and was built by the Babenbergs in 1194 with the help of King Richard the Lionheart’s ransom payment. It became a Habsburg residence in the 15th century during the reign of Friedrich III. His famous AEIOU (Alles Erdreich Ist Österreich Untertan; Everything in the world is subservient to Austria) engraving can be found throughout the city. The town was severely damaged in WWII (only 18 homes were left unscathed), so the historic buildings of Wiener Neustadt needed careful reconstruction.