Kirche Am Hof
The former Jesuit monastery Kirche Am Hof , on the southeast side of Am Hof, has a baroque facade adapted from its fire-damaged Gothic...
Roman excavations can be seen at the Feuerwehr Zentrale . Nearby at No 11 a gold-painted canonball is embedded in the facade, a relic...
The municipal Uhren Museum loudly ticks away time from its location behind the Kirche Am Hof. Opened in 1921 in the Hafenhaus, one of...
Esterházykeller, tucked away on a quiet courtyard just off Kohlmarkt, has an enormous cellar – rustic decor, complete with medieval...
Hidden down an alley near Freyung, Brezl Gwölb has won a loyal following for its winningly fresh Austrian home-cooking, served with...
Am Hof information
This large square was where the Babenbergs resided before rulers moved to the site of the Hofburg in the late 13th century. The attractive Mariensäule (Mary’s Column; 1667) rises up in the centre, but also look for house No 11, where a gold-painted cannonball is a reminder of the 1683 Turkish siege. The former Jesuit monastery Kirche Am Hof occupies the southeast side.
Kirche Am Hof has a baroque facade adapted from its fire-damaged Gothic predecessor and a hugely expansive nave lined with white pillars and topped with gold badges. It was here in 1806 that a royal herald announced the end of the Holy Roman Empire, ruled by the Habsburgs for about 500 years.