Situated 3.8km east of Bad Deutsch-Altenburg, this ‘Culture Factory’ is a museum depot for the archaeological riches of the region. It stages changing exhibitions mostly based on its own collection; see the website for details about what’s currently on show.
The building in which the depot is housed is an interesting landmark in itself. It dates back to 1847 and was erected on the Danube to manufacture cigarettes and cigars, doing so until the local industry ran out of puff here in the 1990s. Today it has been refurbished with a glass wall fronting the river, offering magnificent views. Entry is via a glass and mirrored lift from street level. The fenestra (Latin for window ) cafe offers fantastic views over the river, best enjoyed sipping coffee or nibbling a snack.