Kakadu & Katherine French
All content by Intrepid
Explore two true gems of Australia's Top End on a captivating tour of Kakadu and Katherine. Travel through the watery wilderness of lush Kakadu National Park, where crocodiles loll on the riverbank, beautiful scenery abounds and a memorable night is spent under a canopy of stars. Travel across the Australian Outback to Katherine Gorge, complete with pristine watering-holes and spectacular vistas. Relax on a peaceful sojourn down Katherine River before arriving refreshed and rejuvenated in Darwin.
- Soak up steamy vistas in laidback Darwin.
- Canoe through the mighty Katherine Gorge.
- Cruise through the Kakadu wetlands.
- Learn the ancient secrets of Ubirr Rock.
- Discover Pine Creek's gold rush past.
- Take a dive beneath Edith Falls.
- Have a close encounter with a croc on Katherine River.
Day 1 Darwin/Kakadu National Park
Leave the relaxed harbour city of Darwin behind and journey to World Heritage listed Kakadu National Park. Covering more than 20,000 sq km, Kakadu is a vast expanse of lush wetlands, rock art and unique ecosystems. Discover the park's ancient secrets and get up close and personal with native Kakadu flora and fauna. Enjoy a spot of crocodile watching on a relaxing cruise through the park's peaceful byways before taking in views straight out of Crocodile Dundee from ancient Ubirr Rock. Admire the fascinating Indigenous rock art and hear stories of the Dreamtime.
Day 2 Katherine
With so much to see in this breathtaking region, there is plenty of time for further exploration of Kakadu this morning. Take a refreshing dip in the nearby watering hole - croc-free of course - before travelling to the historic township of Pine Creek to learn of its colourful gold rush past. Enjoy a visit to the picturesque Edith Falls on the way. Spend a relaxing night at an Aussie camp site - look out for wallabies that are often spotted hopping around near camp and fall asleep under the bright Outback sky.
Day 3 Katherine Gorge/Darwin
Rise early to maximise time spent exploring Katherine Gorge. Formed by the Katherine River flowing from Arnhem Land out to the sea, this natural wonder is a must-see on any tour of the Northern Territory. Take a leisurely two-hour cruise along the river's tranquil waters or, for the more energetic, choose to paddle out on a canoeing adventure. The waters are clear, cool and croc-free, and the dramatic sandstone backdrop of Katherine Gorge is quite jaw-dropping. Return to Darwin and celebrate a memorable outback tour with a meal of fresh seafood and a cold beer or two.
Maximum of 15 travellers per group
Permanent tented camp
All Terrain vehicle
1. The tour commences on day 1 at 7am. Please take this into consideration when booking any flights and accommodation. We recommend you book accommodation in advance for the night prior to the tour commencing. 2. This tour finishes on arrival in Darwin on day 3 at around 6:30pm. Please take this into consideration when booking any flights out of Darwin. We recommend you book accommodation in advance to extend your stay here.