St Patrick’s Church
St Philip’s Church
Completed in 1856 by architect Edmund Blacket in High Victorian Gothic style, St Philip’s is the latest incarnation of a line descending...
Pouring a range of craft beers, Harts is frequented by locals drawn by the beer, the rugby tipping competition and some of Sydney's best...
Pressed-tin ceilings, huge columns, oversized windows and modern furniture make the interior design almost as interesting as the food....
20 Grosvenor St · interesting places nearby
St Patrick’s Church information
This attractive sandstone church (1844) was built on land donated by William Davis, an Irishman transported for his role in the 1798 uprisings. Inside it’s incredibly quiet, which makes the brass altar, the stained-glass windows and the colourful statues of St Patrick, St Joan of Arc and St Michael (complete with dragon) seem even more striking. Guided tours are infrequent but worthwhile; visit the website for details.
Davis' home (on the site of the chapel-turned-cafe) was arguably the first Catholic chapel in Australia; it was used for clandestine devotions and secretly housed a consecrated host after the colony’s only Catholic priest was deported in 1818.