A quiet, English-style village green lined with terraced houses, Argyle Pl offers the sacred appeal of the Garrison Church and the more...
Convict labourers excavated this canyonlike section of road clear through the sandstone ridge that gave the Rocks its name. The work...
Built in the 1850s, Sydney’s copper-domed, Italianate observatory squats atop pretty Observatory Hill , overlooking the harbour. Inside...
Hero of Waterloo
Enter this rough-hewn 1843 sandstone pub to meet some locals, chat up the Irish bar staff and grab an earful of the swing, folk and...
Colourful sake barrels and lots of dark wood contribute to the louche Oriental glamour of this large, buzzy restaurant. Solo travellers...
62 Lower Fort St · interesting places nearby
Garrison Church information
Also known as Holy Trinity (1843), this chunky sandstone Anglican church on the western side of the Argyle Cut was the colony’s first military church. Below a dark timber ceiling, the hushed interior is spangled with dusty, lank-hanging regimental flags. Australia’s first prime minister, Edmund Barton, went to school here (the parish hall doubled as a schoolhouse).