St Patrick’s Cathedral
Lonely Planet review for St Patrick’s Cathedral
One of the world’s largest and finest examples of Gothic Revival architecture, St Patrick’s Cathedral was designed by William Wardell. It was named after the patron saint of Ireland, reflecting the local Catholic community’s main origin. Building began in 1863 and continued until the spires were added in 1939. The imposing bluestone exterior and grounds are but a preview of its contents: inside are several tonnes of bells, an organ with 4500 pipes, ornate stained-glass windows and the remains of former archbishops. It has been visited by two popes, Paul VI in 1970 and John Paul II in 1986.